Pioneers in Mallorca in operations with Lasik technique
We are the most experienced ophthalmologist centre in the Balearics. Its been over twenty since we’ve been performing refractive surgery in order to correct myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbytia.
- Myopia: it causes that the image that one sees when looking at distant objects to be blurred. This refractive error is commonly known as being shortsighted.
- Hyperopia: or longsighted people have difficulties when focusing objects at a close distance.
- Astigmatism: causes blurred vision due to the irregular shape of the cornea or the clear front cover of the eye.
- Presbyopia: or eye fatigue it an age-related condition where the eye exhibits a progressively diminished ability to focus near objects.
Each patient is unique and so is its diagnosis. We tailor each treatment to the real needs and lifestyle of each patient.
Our technological equipment is second to none in our area; we are committed to a rigorous screening and a human touch after care.
At the IOM we study each case and we fine-tune the best solution for your eyes.
There are two large groups of refractive surgery techniques:
Myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism: LASIK-INTRALASIK (in 90% of the cases), LASIK with microkeratome PRK, LASEK, EPILASIK.
Presbyopia (eye fatigue): techniques such as PRESBYLASIK, INTRACOR, PresbyMAX (Schwind Amaris) still lack, in our opinion, the degree of correction or significant number of reported cases to advise our patients about their application.
Intraocular lens implants (IOL)
Myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism: anterior chamber lenses, back chamber lenses or replacing the lens with or without cataracts.
Presbyopia (eye fatigue): diffractive multifocal IOL, multifocal and accommodative IOL replacing the lens opaque or not opaque.
When IOLs are implanted to correct presbyopia with the Eximer Laser the dominant eye is fully corrected for a distance vision and the non-dominant eye is under corrected in order to achieve a good close vision. As a result we will have a fine combined long-short distance vision.
Refractive surgery for Myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism
If you are thinking about eye surgery to get rid of your glasses or contacts, here are some of the issues that you should know to tell the difference in between LASIK vs INTRALASIK and SURGICAL PLATFORMS.
The intralasik system provides more security, reliability and accuracy.
Lasik needs two-step, first of all a flap corneal tissue must be created and has to be folded back; the surgeon creates the flap with a hand held mechanical device using a surgical blade. Then laser is done in order to change the radius of curvature of the cornea.
This method has worked finely over many years, Lasik complications are extremely rare, and however the performance with the mechanical device is frequently the source of many reported complications.
The corneal flap is created with the precision of a laser (100 times more accurate than a blade) there is no other technology that can equal it in vision correction surgery. This allows more control during the procedure and permits customization of the corneal flap for every individual patient. This accuracy now allows treating many people who were dismissed candidates due to thin corneas.
Afterwards Femtosecond laser is done to change the radius of curvature of the cornea.
Seen below the difference in outcome:
STATE-OF-THE-ART BLADE-FREE EYE SURGERYElements that make the Institut Oftàlmic de Mallorca so unique:
- Technological differences compared with the competition. IOM professionals are in charge of the most advanced medical technology on the island.
- A surgeon on call. On the day of the operation one of the ophthalmologists, either the surgeon or their assistant, will be on call in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
- Follow-up by one doctor. Unlike other centres, at IOM you will only be seen by one doctor, from preoperative tests to the date of discharge.
- IOM are the pioneers of laser eye surgery in Mallorca, and have used the Lasik method since 1993.
- The effect of age on the eye causes the natural crystalline lens to lose some of its elasticity and thereby its ability to focus close objects, this condition usually begins around the age of 40. The removal of the natural lens (suffering or not from cataract) and its replacement with a diffractive multifocal lens that allows far and close distance vision. At the beginning we might see halos during nighttime but regularly they tend to end imperceptible. Provides very satisfactory results in most patients however for very demanding visual activities some support may be required such as glasses.
- The removal of the natural lens (suffering or not from cataract) and its replacement with an accommodative lens. It is a relatively new technique and requires a long-term study to confirm the accommodative effect (to see simultaneously far and close distance) lasts past long period of time. It does not involve taking a higher risk than any other lens as in case of loosing the accommodative power, we only loose the capacity of reading without glasses.
- When cataracts are treated or laser is done one of the eyes is adjusted to see mostly at long distance and a little close up and the other eye is adjusted the opposite way. The brain will combine both eyes achieving greater depth in vision.